At Ashworth Nursery School we believe that being a competent mathematician is a prerequisite for progressing into quality jobs, further education and helping with everyday life too. Our intent is to ensure our pedagogy and approach support the key levers for success set out in 'Improving Mathematics in Early Years and Key Stage 1' produced by the Education Endowment Foundation (EEF):
- We develop staff understanding of how children learn mathematics through high quality Continued Professional Development (CPD).
- We dedicate time for children to learn mathematics and integrate mathematics throughout the day.
- We use manipulatives and representations to develop understanding.
- We ensure that our teaching builds on what children already know.
- We use high quality targeted support and small groups to help all children learn mathematics.
For more information, please see the summary guidance below.
Improving Mathematics in the Early Years and Key Stage 1
Maths Champions II Research Project
We are absolutely delighted to be selected to take part in the Maths Champions II Research Project!
Maths Champions is a programme that has been developed by the National Day Nurseries Association (NDNA; ndna.org.uk/) with the aim of providing nursery staff with further training on how to help children develop their mathematical skills through play within nursery.
Our school Maths Champion is Mrs Jalgaonkar and our Deputy Maths Champion is Miss Hussain.
We are very much looking forward to receiving further training and resources to teach maths to a high standard in school and will provide regular updates regarding the progress the children are making.
For more information regarding the Maths Champions II Reseach Project please speak to Mrs Jalgaonkar or Mrs Burnside an see the information sheet below: